Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hydraulic hand brake tech

Default hydraulic hand brake tech

I have the cash finally for the hand brake setup but befroe I do this I would like to have a better understanding of the "system". Does the hydraulic hand brake discontinue using your interior rotor brake shoes in favor of the rear caliper (I say this due to the wording on the ksport website) or does it still use the rear shoes? are there any serious obstacles or is it a straight forward install? Any one with actual experience?

2. Don't like seeing these ads? Register on the DirtyImpreza.com forums today - Click Here
    Senior Dirty Member

you will no longer use the cable ebrake drums. the hydraulic unit will go in-line with your lines for the rear calipers. basically with the handbrake disengaged your rear brakes will operate as normal with the foot pedal. if you pull the handbrake it will actuate your rear calipers

Huh, that's kind of weird. I presume that's not street-legal since it means you no longer actually have an emergency brake if your main brakes fail?

Senior Dirty Member

Quote Originally Posted by williaty View Post
    Huh, that's kind of weird. I presume that's not street-legal since it means you no longer actually have an emergency brake if your main brakes fail?
    pretty much. which is funny because this just happened to me in my daily driver (brake line burst) - had to use the ebrake to stop the car. from my research, rally cars with a hydro set-up do not retain the cable brake. my thought is that they monitor the brake lines closely and use very strong, protected components. I'll be putting my hydro unit in after my car comes back - still on the fence on if I'll keep my cable because of my recent scare

Senior Dirty Member

Carl nailed it. For a race car it makes sense to ditch the old e-brake system altogether. For a daily driven car you are just asking for trouble... the whole point of an e-brake is a reduntant system to keep yourself and others safe in the event of brake failure. There is nothing keeping you from having both systems installed.

Senior Dirty Member

let me just say, losing your brakes is very scary! make sure you check your lines if you have an old car or you could suddenly find yourself rolling down a hill at 45mph towards an intersection with the brake pedal stuck to the floor!

I'll probably ditch my cable ebrake in the rallycar as I'll have all stainless lines that are somewhat protected and will be inspected before and after every race

Jackson Rally (Kyle) has installed this type of a setup (hydraulic turning brake) before, and its pretty fricking awesome. I took a lap with subyspawn at a recent rallycross and the way it locks up the rear end is so sweet.

Again though, on a daily driven car, there isn't any reason why you couldn't keep the cable/drum emergency brake intact and on your center console. The hydraulic turning brake is usually mounted in a different position, closer where you can reach it easily next to the steering wheel.

Senior Dirty Member

indeed, I wouldn't bother with one on a street car. although if I did, I'd for sure keep the stock handbrake

This baby should be showing up at the end of the week

The handbrake system we installed works pretty good, as Aaron stated above.

I don't have an "E" brake system, but we did customize the hand brake to function as a parking brake too.

See bottom right of this pic. We installed this lever deal on the hand brake handle with a spring. Its simple but it works, it was installed (among other things) last minute before Gorman .

Keith

Forum Moderator
    Authorized Vendor

Quote Originally Posted by subyspawn View Post

I don't have an "E" brake system, but we did customize the hand brake to function as a parking brake too.
    just to add some color, you're supposed to have some kind of locking e-brake to pass tech, which is why they installed it. So just consider that if/when you're installing it.

thanks guys I might pick up the components and take them to a fab shop and see if we can come up with anything. Has anyone ever tried installing the crappy truck type push e-brake to keep it out of the way after they installed the hydraulic? (keeping it to code)

what about the older toyota's/nissans? they have a handle you pull from the right side of the steering wheel. its pretty simple, you could move that anywhere. maybe between the seats or something. or coming out of the dash somewhere. it would do the exact same thing as your current hand brake but it would take up a lot less room so you could put your hydrolic one between the seats. just thinking out loud.
    subaru.

The SYMS rally team (Rockstar cars) had a little lever on the hydraulic hand brake to flip over to lock the handle when pulling to act as a parking brake, pretty sure its similar to the WRC stuff. Keepin it simple.

Quote Originally Posted by JacksonRally View Post
    The SYMS rally team (Rockstar cars) had a little lever on the hydraulic hand brake to flip over to lock the handle when pulling to act as a parking brake, pretty sure its similar to the WRC stuff. Keepin it simple.
    The lever just keeps it in the "pulled" position? ingenious!

Forum Moderator
    Authorized Vendor

Quote Originally Posted by JacksonRally View Post
    kyle, where did you get your and keith's hand brake? similar in price to the one above?

this has me thinking about my brake setup now...want to get a brake bias lever also.

17. Don't like seeing these ads? Register on the DirtyImpreza.com forums today - Click Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast