Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear end LSD axle retainer clip

Default Rear end LSD axle retainer clip

Hi Guys,

I bought a JDM R160 4.444 2001 STI LSD rear end and was having a problem because one of the female sides on the diff doesn't have the axle retainer C-clip that holds the axle in place. I was trying to figure out where I could get one because I tried using one from an 02 wrx cause those are the axles I'm using.

If anyone has any suggestions of what I can do or where to buy a clip I can use that would be of great help.

Thanks
    -Omar
    UTiclothing.com

95 Impreza L Wagon______________________ 98 Forester ________________02 Bug Eye WRX (Sold to Cambo)

2. Don't like seeing these ads? Register on the DirtyImpreza.com forums today - Click Here

The clip on the driver side is the one that's missing and this is a picture of the diff if it helps anyone

-Omar
    UTiclothing.com

95 Impreza L Wagon______________________ 98 Forester ________________02 Bug Eye WRX (Sold to Cambo)

Have you tried a dealer?
    I know it is a JDM part but maybe someone knows what will fit.

If you can dig up the part number the dealer should be able to get it. It may even be the same as a USDM part, in which case it should be cheaper.
    - Mike Mc

hotpinkrally |
    Gorilla Offroad Company | AMSOIL | GoPro Cameras

here is an exploded view of the R160 diff, the part numbers are on the next page. hope this helps

http://datsun510.com/photopost/showp...agram&cat=3711
    - Mike Mc

hotpinkrally |
    Gorilla Offroad Company | AMSOIL | GoPro Cameras

All of my jdm trans parts I get from rallispec. I would suggest hitting them up and see what they have to say.

-Kurt

i actually called them this morning lol they said they had a clip that could help. I contacted the seller and he said that for the passenger side you could use a usdm axle but for the driver side he said i would need a jdm axle but i have no idea where i would get it
    -Omar
    UTiclothing.com

Those axles are hard as hell to find. The axle looks like.a normal one, but has a little step down to a smaller diameter with splines on it. My buddy is taking his out today and I'll try and get a pic when he does..
    I have that same diff in my car and I dread the day I have to find a replacement axle..

-Kurt

it just seems dumb to have different diameters but i kinda considered shaving the splines at the end to make it fit.... lol don't wanna deal with the hassle of trying to find and buy jdm axles so I'm tryin gto figure out what I need to do to make it work with stuff I can get here.. still haven't received the clips from rallispec but I doubt it'll be smaller then the one I found yesterday. It sints in the groove better then the 02 wrx clip but still doesnt fit in all the way for some reason. I'll keep things updated as they happen.

If you guys have any more tips let me know
    -Omar
    UTiclothing.com

The jdm axle is longer than the usdm, so you can't just machine a usdm unfortunately.
    I googled an image for you. Check out the difference, its very unique.

-Kurt

Wow.... That even seems like it would be too long to fit in the diff with the other axle in there.... And where the clip is seems not deep enough... Idk lol this should just work :(
    -Omar
    UTiclothing.com

Registered Member

It does "just work" when you have the correct axles......

It was more of frustrated comment, wishing I had the right parts, but thanks for the great input.

Now that i look at the picture again, I remember someone sending me a message about older legacy axles and sent me a piciture of them. I'm gonna see if I can dig it up and find it.
    -Omar
    UTiclothing.com

it does "just work" when you have a tape measure and a cutting wheel...........

the axle that wouldn't go down in the diff, we used the cutting wheel to make the groove already on the axle deeper to allow the c clip to actually compress and go down into the differential. after deepening the groove, it went down and locked in place like it should.

the pic here is of the other axle that would go all the way down, but the c clip groove on the axle was too deep for the differential, thus it would slide back out until the groove met up with the c clip and lock into position with the axle about half way out of the diff. we measured it out and cut a new groove on the axle to match up with the depth of the c clip on the differential and it worked. this made omar a happy boy.

17. Don't like seeing these ads? Register on the DirtyImpreza.com forums today - Click Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast