Thread: Forester swap on '02 Impreza!

Smile Forester swap on '02 Impreza!

Edit: Lifted! Went ahead and lifted her, all of my info is on post #4.
    Last edited by Aut-Lin_37; 07-13-2012 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Lifted!

2. Don't like seeing these ads? Register on the DirtyImpreza.com forums today - Click Here
    Registered Member

Input bump: I too was getting this. My plan is just to use SG ( 03-08 ) swap outs.

PS. I knew I'd eventually find you on here. I have been up in westsyde a few times in the last few weeks and passed by you.

fronts are the same for sure, but i'm not positive about the rears. IIRC first gen forester owners often upgrade to GD WRX suspension to get a drop, so maybe they are a direct bolt on. an easy way to find out for sure is to compare the two right next to eachother. if the bolt patterns dont match up then its a no go.

how much of a lift are you going for? first gen stuff MIGHT lift you 1-2" as your car is similar in weight to a forester. If you want a larger lift definitely go with the 03-08 stuff. My lift is big and my car still handles alright on the road
    looks like poo,
    sounds like heaven,
    feels incredible.

Default Forgot I made this thread haha

Well I went ahead and bought those struts and installed them. Everything fit perfectly, bolted right in without any mods. Been driving about 2 months with them now and everything has been smooth!

The only thing I did have to do was fab up some holders for the brake cables and ABS cables, and also a necessary alignment. I'm also going to be fabbing up some longer front end-links eventually, but it's not really necessary from what I could tell by driving (PITA to reattach though..).

Got about 2 inches of lift with the Forester struts, and plus about another inch with the tires I got with the struts (215/60/16, on Subaru OEM Aluminum wheels!).

P.S. Munky got any pictures of you car? I've seen quite a few Impreza go by my house the past few weeks
    Last edited by Aut-Lin_37; 07-08-2012 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Wrong tire size...

Quote Originally Posted by Aut-Lin_37 View Post
    Well I went ahead and bought those struts and installed them. Everything fit perfectly, bolted right in without any mods. Been driving about 2 months with them now and everything has been smooth!

The only thing I did have to do was fab up some holders for the brake cables and ABS cables, and also a necessary alignment. I'm also going to be fabbing up some longer front end-links eventually, but it's not really necessary from what I could tell by driving (PITA to reattach though..).

Got about 2 inches of lift with the Forester struts, and plus about another inch with the tires I got with the struts (235/75/16, on Subaru OEM Aluminum wheels!).

P.S. Munky got any pictures of you car? I've seen quite a few Impreza go by my house the past few weeks

Here! This is all that I could find before work, I'll take some more when she's sitting on tarmac so you can really see how tall she stands!

Clean..

Dirty! (After a rallyX)

I need to start a journal for this one eventually...

Regular Contributor

Got about 2 inches of lift with the Forester struts, and plus about another inch with the tires I got with the struts (235/75/16, on Subaru OEM Aluminum wheels!).
    Those tires are huge! How did you get a 30" tire to fit?

Quote Originally Posted by bradyarz View Post
    Those tires are huge! How did you get a 30" tire to fit?
    Yeah, really - I thought you couldn't go any wider than 225 on stock 16 rims. The fozz struts and springs apparently provide enough clearance - no strut tower spacers either? Do your tires rub the subframe when turned to lock?
    Last edited by Skemcin; 07-06-2012 at 07:57 AM. Reason: correct grammer

Offering the strongest, most intelligent off-road and rally parts for your Subaru.
    Portions of all proceeds are donated to gorillafund.org.

Visit gorillaoffroadcompany.com and follow @gorillaoffroad now!

No spacers at all! And they do rub ever so slightly on the front side of the subframe but thats about it. Will be making some wheel spacers just to put it out a bit so it doesn't rub. Everwhere else has just enough clearance!

Edit: The tires are NOT 235/75/16... They are in fact 215/60/16. I don't know why I put those first numbers there, probably because i was talking to my buddy about tires for his truck.
    Last edited by Aut-Lin_37; 07-08-2012 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Oopsies.

Registered Member

Mount Robson by Crazed Munky, on Flickr

You revved at me early last week. I was turning onto the road just south of the Halston.

Quote Originally Posted by Munky View Post

Mount Robson by Crazed Munky, on Flickr

You revved at me early last week. I was turning onto the road just south of the Halston.
    OH! Yeah I remember now, that was definately me haha.

...Edit: The tires are NOT 235/75/16... They are in fact 215/60/16. I don't know why I put those first numbers there, probably because i was talking to my buddy about tires for his truck.
    Ok - that make sense then. Being a little more than 3/16 of an inch shorter would explain why you get just a little rub - and not likely as much as I can notice (and hear) on my 215/65/16 Grabbers. So that all makes sense then. Thanks for posting the correction...

Offering the strongest, most intelligent off-road and rally parts for your Subaru.
    Portions of all proceeds are donated to gorillafund.org.

Visit gorillaoffroadcompany.com and follow @gorillaoffroad now!

Registered Member

what struts did you buy?

and your setup id forester struts and springs?

did you have to use subframe spacers to align the cv joints?

nice ride too love the white

Quote Originally Posted by bigpunn421 View Post
    what struts did you buy?

and your setup id forester struts and springs?

did you have to use subframe spacers to align the cv joints?

nice ride too love the white

Hi, I apologize for the REALLY late response..

My set is basically just Forester struts and springs, and well as 16" wheels with 215/60 BFG advantage T/A tires.

Got it all from a 98 Forester from my local wrecker.

No sub-frame spacers, seems I have just hit the sweet spot with the CVs. Anymore lift and I would definitely need sub-frame spacers.

16. Don't like seeing these ads? Register on the DirtyImpreza.com forums today - Click Here