Thread: rs tranny and rear end into 92 leggy ss

Senior Dirty Member

Default rs tranny and rear end into 92 leggy ss

ok so like the title says im looking to swap the tranny and rear end from an
    2000 2.5 rs into an 92 leggy ss.

has anyone done this or does any one know of anything that differs majorly that would keep this from happening. the one thing my buddy and i came up with that may hinder it is drive shaft lengths... if anyone has any info on this that they could share with me that would be great!
    thanks
    wagonlove

2. Don't like seeing these ads? Register on the DirtyImpreza.com forums today - Click Here

uh I wouldn't. Pretty sure that rear dif in the rs is open. Your ss is an lsd. Also pretty sure your ss trans is a little meatier than the rs too.

Probably a good idea to confirm before you go for it. As far as differences go I think it takes a little something to get that trans to mount up to ur block. Urs is a 4 bolt bellhousing the other is a 6. It's doable I heard

The problem is the clutch. Unless you sourced an RS slave cylinder as well. Driveshafts are exactly the same. If your leggy doesn't have a rear LSD (only 91 SS came with them) then you will need to source LSD axles, as the stock open rear has stubs on the diff, while the LSD rear has a female vaginer recepitcal.

Quote Originally Posted by MConte05 View Post
    The problem is the clutch. Unless you sourced an RS slave cylinder as well. Driveshafts are exactly the same. If your leggy doesn't have a rear LSD (only 91 SS came with them) then you will need to source LSD axles, as the stock open rear has stubs on the diff, while the LSD rear has a female vaginer recepitcal.

Also to swap from a hydro to manual is a PIA! Why swapping it out? the SS gears are stronger then the RS

Oh. And driveshaft length WILL be an issue. Good news though, you can just use your Legacy driveshaft with no issue.

I swapped an RS trans and rear end into my Leggy rally car. Reason being is that the SS drivetrain is a 3.9 Final Drive. The RS is 4.11. I have a noticeable difference in acceleration because of it, yet still have a VLSD rear end. Even in a turbo car I would be swapping over, especially if it was a rally car.

I was able to use the hydraulic clutch still, just had to use the RS slave cylinder and one of the SS clutch lines was long enough to reach to the RS slave. Just have to use an RS clutch/flywheel combination. Or in my case, I was using a 1990 Subaru Legacy flywheel/clutch that I salvaged off a parts car that had a cable clutch.

Senior Dirty Member

this was hypothetical for two cars i was thinking about picking up. that didnt happen. just rockin a different legacy ss now. still wish i had better gearing.. but i do love this motor!! and like conte said, not all ss's came with lsd, only 91s had one for sure. 92-94 it was a factory option you could order. and there are a few rs's that came with lsd, i cant remember the year (s). thanks for the replies though guys.

Premium Supporter

2000 rs's had a LSD, I believe the 2000 Rs was a 4.1 final drive and has a push type clutch, an is a bit weaker than the LSS

If you ran a 02-05 Wrx transmission, you could use the LSS 3.9 rear lsd, and the LSS clutch set up.

My $.02

96 impreza (EJ205 swapped, wider body, sti 5 speed trans)---
    90 Miata
    2004 ctsV (for sale)---
    1998 cbr600 cafe fighter.

9. Don't like seeing these ads? Register on the DirtyImpreza.com forums today - Click Here