Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Suparu's lifted legacy -AWESOMENESS-

Default Suparu's lifted legacy -AWESOMENESS-

A collection of some Boxer awesomeness to begin this thread!

So I'm finally starting a journal on this car (over 2 years after joining the DI

Greetings from Moab, UT!

I've been on the USMB (superu) for years, but in expanding my Subaru forum exposure, lurking on the DI for s while, I joined the Dirttyimpreza community with my AWD passion, off-road and rally enthusiasm. This community is great, helpful and super fun, the dirty kind of fun!!!

My daily driver is a lifted '95 Legacy "L" sedan, NA, EJ22

Mods [as of Jan, 2012] include:
    Subaru spoiler
    aftermarket 14" rims
    90 legacy rear disk swap
    LGT high-top center console cover
    OB tape deck (w/ weatherband) replaced stock deck
    KYB GR2/Excel-G struts spec'd for '98 outback
    27.5x8" General Grabber AT2 all terrain tires
    modified Mudrat Baja bumper
    cat back 2.25" through a 12" cherry bomb (as resonator) and magnaflow
    tow receiver
    rear 20% tint (Utah didn't appreciate the 35% front)
    99 outback hood (with scoop)
    rear seat bottom from 98 OB wagon ('cause it folds up)
    rear diff protector
    99 OB RSB (upsize 3mm over stock)
    99 FOR rear springs
    94 SVX front springs
    99 LGT steering rack
    99 OB 5MT (4.11 FD) *EDIT: swapped 99OB 5MT out for AUDM dual range AWD transmission (see below)
    89 RX LS unit stuffed in 99 OB rear diff (aka, 4.11 FD CLSD)

[As of 10/2012] AUDM 98 FOR DR FT AWD EJ 5MT with 1.447:1 LO RANGE and 4.11 FD
    [As of 08/2013] Disconnected FSB, quick disconect RSB

This is my daily driver, kid hauler, occasional rally crosser, off-roader, elk-hunting rig, overall everyday and all kinds of fun, FUN car!!!

Here are some photos from my first rally cross in 2009
    (photo credit: Russ Chesnut of URG)

and some [of my] other pix

This is how the car began with me in October, 2003

But, it didn't stay that way for very long. . .

Photos through its early evolution,

Now that we live in Moab. . .
    <--- climbing baby lion's back

In SE Utah snow

2. Don't like seeing these ads? Register on the DirtyImpreza.com forums today - Click Here

I'll be populating this thread from posts over in the member intro thread, since those should've all been here in the first place (hat's off to your observation Kirky

(Old vid, with open diffs and 3.90 gearing. . . )

This is what 400 pounds of clay looks like and what won DI accolades and DIOTM 03/10!! Thanks for all your votes!!

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

http://www.dirtyimpreza.com/forums/s...ighlight=diotm

Custom vinyl!!!

"boxer" crank, rods and pistons 'x-ray'

Custom reflective black "AWD" vinyl

From the tranny swap files!

left: 95 LEG 5MT, 3.90 FD
    right: 99 OB 5MT, 4.11 FD

cable clutch bracket modified and swapped to OB transmission

Why did I make this swap?

27" making a 3.90FD NA car WAAAY undergeared being the ultimate reason, but the proximate reason was what happened to the reverse gear

This is how it looked on the other side

This provided an excellent opportunity to look inside "the magic box" aka the symatrical AWD Subaru 5MT

I'd like to do something to the open front diff situation eventually

The magic center diff

BUT, I did do something cool with the open rear 4.11 diff

Remove open carrier
    This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 912x684.

to swap this in it's place
    This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 912x684.

heh heh heh

40-tooth ring gear + RX LS carrier = 4.11 CLSD

A little grinding of the case to squeeze it in

And help from the little-tiny man

Early testing of the 99 OB 5MT swap

4.11 is pretty sweet!!

A little drive on the Willow Springs road by Arches NP

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 912x684.This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 912x684.This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 912x684.This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 912x684.

< - - This guys Subaru vs. a cinder block

\

roof rack [re]installed for winter

and the spare mounting system:

This is an old pic, familiar to some, but was my early (stock 3.90 FD) attempt at a Moab climb.

I couldn't get higher than mid-slope of that long grade in front of the car then. BUT with the OB transmission, this climb was a snap AND with the rear LSD, it's cake!!

and from the outside

Dropping a steeper line on the back side:

And entering Hell's Revenge in Moab:

an early climb on Hell's:

<<<MILEAGE UPDATE W/ ROOF RACK AND SPARE TIRE>>>

I've run a few tanks of gas since reinstalling the rack and spare on the roof, and can report my average MPG.

After 997.5 miles and 47.5 gallons (city/daily commuting/running around town and up to the mountains miles, etc.), I get 21.0 ave MPG.

<UPDATE jAN 2013>>
    After tanks and tanks and tanks with 4.11 FD and no roof rack, I'm averaging more like 23 MPG, mostly all city, with occasional jaunts up tp the mountains and some off-roading (in both hi and low ranges) in 26.8" LT AT2s

These are per calculations by an Ultraguage, OBDII interface.

Just a snippet of Elk hunting in a Subaru, December cow elk hunt in SE Utah:

rocky, rough and uneven terrain!!

Last edited by Suparu; 01-19-2012 at 09:40 PM.

Added DIY LATCH anchors to the back seat. These will complete the system, perfectly complementing the deck LATCH previously installed.
    I pulled the bolts, then had to grind out the anchor's 10 mm hole to accept the car's 12 mm bolt
    I used Fixe climbing anchors with rap rings (load bearing to 18 Kn or 4046.51 pound force, or 18,000 joules/meter; there's a stronger one available)

under rear seat.
    I attached them to the seat belt anchors

The outer seat belt anchors have a captive nut on a plate (visible in the rear wheel well), so I assume the inner anchors are similar

I chose the outer seatbelt anchor as it's load bearing and structural for shock loads, when compared to the seat mounting point.

Here's the left rear belt anchor which also holds the rear center belt

removed

separated

Inverted the seatbelt's positioning bracket, to accommodate the anchor in appropriate orientation

assembled maintaining orientation of each belt/buckle with the climbing anchor in good orientation for clipping a LATCH belt

mounted

seat in place, showing access to anchor ring

spread belts showing LATCH belt anchored to ring

shown how well the system tucks away

Fixe climbing anchor with ring anchor $5.99 (x4), and a little grinder action, and now I can anchor 2 car seats (2 yr old toddler, and NEW baby boy (born 1/23/2012)) in the sedan, WITH the modern LATCH anchoring system rather than the lame seat belt method.

Amazing car!! I just gave my wife a '96 OBL for her 50th birthday. The first order of business is swapping in a 5 spd but she is already talking about a lift. I showed her this thread and she said "WOW, I like that!".

Thanks for the inspiration!!!

-Darin

17. Don't like seeing these ads? Register on the DirtyImpreza.com forums today - Click Here
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast