Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 WRX (Roxie) going rally style slowly

Default 2011 WRX (Roxie) going rally style slowly

This is my first journal, so here goes: bought this car in March of 2011 so I could get rid of my 2005 Dodge Neon (2nd car, after my '89 Mazda 323 with 277k on it). The neon wasn't a horrid car, and it gave me plenty of good years of beating on it bad (tank trails, psychotic snow driving A.K.A. normal WRX driving) it was just time for a change. Looked at a few vehicles in my search (Civic, Sentra SE-R, Speed3, etc) but finally figured out a few pre-reqs for any car I'd want. I needed a car I'd like seeing, wanted 200+ HP & something reliable and decently built. As I whittled the list down, I finally decided on going AWD and Audi & BMW were (still are) out of my price range. I decided I really liked the STi & the Evo, but my wife would not agree to me spending that much, so we compromised and I went with a WRX and I've taken to calling her Roxie. I did the whole shebangle (limited sedan, heated seats & HIDs FTW!) and I've loved the car since, but since I'll probably always wish I got the STi instead, I may eventually do a full swap over to STi drivetrain. And thus the quest for a bit more power out of the car starts. Within a month I was wanting a little more out of the car, so I bought a Cobb AP and went stage 1. Obligatory pics:
    With the ebay lip I liked so much:

Roxie & I:

Fast forward another 8 months to now, I have given up any thoughts of going the lower route, as the whole idea sickens me, plus function is always> form. So I have the bug to get more dirt in my life and Roxie's existence. This is my current mod list:
    - Kartboy Endlinks (Front & Rear)
    - Whiteline Rear Differential Positive Power Front Kit
    - GTSPEC Front Strut Brace
    - Cobb AccessPort – Custom Tune Stage 2+ by Eric Mineheart
    - SPT Axle Back Exhaust
    - Kartboy Short Throw Shifter
    - Kartboy Shifter Bushings (Front & Rear)
    - GrimmSpeed PnP/ Coated Headers, Hi-Flow X-Pipe & Up-Pipe
    - Invidia Hi-flow Catted Down-Pipe
    - Cobb Short Ram Intake
    - Forge Recirculating BPV
    - DeatschWerks DW65C Fuel Pump
    - Spearco TMIC
    - RalliTek Sway Bars (22mm front & 19mm rear)
    - SPT Lower H-Brace
    - Feal Suspension Front Strut Rebuild/ Feal Suspension Rear Struts – Gravel Spec w/ King Springs
    - Braid Winrace TA (5ea.) in 15x6.5et45
    - Grilltek Grills – Hood-scoop, Center Grill & Lower Grill
    - Perrin Short Antenna
    - RallyArmor UR Mud-flaps
    - HKS Turbo Timer
    - GrimmSpeed Turbo Heat Shield
    - Carbign Craft Carbon Fiber Alternator Cover
    - SMY ClusterMaker Dual Gauge Pod 52mm
    - Windshield Dual Gauge Pod 52mm
    - ProSport Evo Gauges (Boost & EGT)
    - WeatherTech Window Deflectors
    - GrimmSpeed Air Oil Separator
    - Subtle Solutions WRX License Plate Delete
    - Hella Supertones on SubieMods Mounting Plate
    - Delrin Shift Knob from Killer B Motor Sports
    - GTSPEC D-Shaped Steering Wheel
    - Primitive Racing Skid Plate w/ Stinger + Rear Skid Plate
    - Custom steel frame bumper made by Nick @ Shaving Seconds in Las Cruces, NM

Buh bye lip, I'll miss you, kinda (silly low-ish car, don't go off-road) + Stupid raccoon, sorry bumper :

Skid plates:

My plans as of right now are to install some Feal revalved struts with King springs (on order, waiting for the some rear struts to get to Odi for the spring perches), SPT H-Brace & '09 STi Rear Sway Bar (bought BNIB from someone on 3gwrx) and I may upgrade the front sway bar too, eventually. As things go on, I'll update my list and put the post number links in the saved blanks. And, since it's a journal, my latest mod

Last edited by gregroot198521; 03-11-2014 at 02:21 AM.
    Lifted & always dirty!! Eric Mineheart Tuned

Old build (Roxie) & New Build (Bianca)

Photo opportunity I found in the desert:

More fun in the desert, got stuck for a few minutes and had to rely on my old Minnesota driving skills to get out of the deep ass rut.

My bumper now:

And a pic I took tonight:
    Last edited by gregroot198521; 03-26-2012 at 08:25 PM.

Saved for more#2

Saved for more#3

You're going to love the Feals with Kings!!! Can't wait to see more pics.

Thanks to S&S Auto Parts, Mishimoto, aFe, Spec, Whiteline, Rally Kings, Konig, Vaughn Performance

Well still waiting on the Feal setup due to a the seller of the rear struts blowing his turbo and the struts being about 100 miles from him. They're on the way to Odi now, so hopefully in a few weeks they'll be here, and I can do the install of them, the STi rear sway bar and the SPT H-brace in one shot. Pics afterwards. I've started designing a bully bar for the car (in my head) too. Maybe I'll start doing a real draw up of what I've got in my head one of these days.

I got my Feal revalved struts & King springs installed today. It looks mean as ****, but I need to adjust the rear up higher to match. Have to go pick up a spanner wrench so I can do this though. I'll post some pics after I adjust them, but it's nice to be able to finally fist my wheel gap.

I saw:
    2005 Dodge Neon
    List of cars
    STI too expensive wife made you get a WRX

Then I saw:
    Your mod list

I started to think to myself, "STI too expensive so he bought the WRX. But then spent a ton of money modifying it?"
    Then I thought, "Well, the newer WRX and STI model don't have that big of a difference anymore."

Then I read the mod list again...
    You have done a lot with that car sir.
    I bet it is very fun

What is rally style?
    Racing Rallyx or stage?

Quote Originally Posted by LPPrelude View Post
    I saw:
    2005 Dodge Neon
    List of cars
    STI too expensive wife made you get a WRX

Then I saw:
    Your mod list

I started to think to myself, "STI too expensive so he bought the WRX. But then spent a ton of money modifying it?"
    Then I thought, "Well, the newer WRX and STI model don't have that big of a difference anymore."

Then I read the mod list again...
    You have done a lot with that car sir.
    I bet it is very fun

What is rally style?
    Racing Rallyx or stage?
    Yep the Neon was my previous car, I spaced on putting my first car up there though, an '89 Mazda 323 with 277k on the odometer.

Yep, main difference is that I have more hp than a stock STi now, and i've paid less than I would have for the limited STi. Insurance is cheaper too. . Glad you like my build! Oh, and I spaced, I'm going to sell the STi swaybar, since I have some RalliTek sways on their way to me(22mm front & 19mm rear).

Oh, yes, it is very fun!! Just finished my strut install and it looks, feels and sounds mean as hell. Not sure why struts make the engine growl more, but they seriously do. My guess is the rake of the car right now amplifies the sound or something.

By rally style, I was more thinking of rallyx style, and mainly a lot more dirt driving. Definitely not stage, since I have neither the money or time for that type of driving. I haven't done any races yet, but I might in the future, or I'll stick with the tank trails around here.

Definitely look into your local rallyx. If I remember right they just had an event in TX and it was the first one they have had in awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by LPPrelude View Post
    Definitely look into your local rallyx. If I remember right they just had an event in TX and it was the first one they have had in awhile.
    Yeah, I remember seeing threads about it, unfortunately, I think they are going on on the other side of the state, which is about an 8 hour drive, IIRC. Not enough free time for that, so for right now I'll stick with tearing up the dirt a bit more and get my turning ability down a little better.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I don't have to deal with hunting down the spanner, Odi is sending me one!! What a classy guy! I'll definitely have to get him to rebuild my backups too, so I have them just in case.
    Last edited by gregroot198521; 02-27-2012 at 06:40 PM.

Got my RalliTek sways today, but unfortunately the seller was a little confused on which sway needed the replacement bushings. He thought the 19mm rear did, so I got replacement ones, but in reality I need replacements for the 22mm front. Of course all the shops nearby claim to not carry any, even with finding other vehicles with matching bushings. So, long story short, just got "1 day" shipping from Amazon for a set of 22mm with the bracket, so I don't have to worry on fitment with the original bracket that came with the RalliTeks.

Installed my RalliTek 22mm front & 19mm rear sway bars and the SPT H-brace last night. Feels more planted now.

Updated post 2 with pics

More pics in post 2.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast