Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hotbits DT1 install - positive camber??

Registered Member

Default Hotbits DT1 install - positive camber??

Hi,

I just install my hotbits DT1 and wheels have a noticeable amount of positive camber.

Tomorrow I'll lower the suspension to see if it solve the problem but I would like to know if anyone had the same problem. Is it possible I installed them on the wrong side?

Thanks for the help.

-Max

Man, we aren't being much help are we.

Not real familiar with those coilovers. Got pic's of the car (showing the camber, the knuckles/strut bolts/top hapts) ?

Possibly a link to something with the specs on them?

Jason

Registered Member

All 4. I know the rear is install properly because they woulnt fit otherwise, the canister would hit the axles.

I did not checked the degrees but it's quite noticeable.

No, the car is still missing a windshield so I can't test drive it. I'll wait till it gets dark, I'll wear a lot of clothes and i'll drive it around the block and see if it helps.

Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it.

http://www.i-club.com/forums/used-af...-setup-234390/

that them?

If so, what do you top hats look like?

Registered Member

They do look like them but the top hats are different. I'll post pictures as soon as I can

when you lifted the car to put on new suspension it was as if the car was at full extension of the suspension, which on most subarus results in positive camber angle. The only time your suspension will be extended that far during operation is when you catch air and completely unload the suspension.

When you go to lower the car after putting on the new struts the tires will first touch down toward the outside edge of the tires since they are at positive camber from suspension being fully extended, they will probably stay on that spot until you give the tire a way to slip back to a neutral position.

Basically, it needs to be shifted around and allowed to settle, it will probably go down a bit and you'll get some camber back.

If settling the springs doesn't work, try to rotate the top hats. I seem to remember the adjustable top hats could go in different directions and look right but would result in undesirable camber.
    Sam Albert
    Revolutionary Sports Team
    Facebook - Twitter - Youtube

how high do you have the car? if you raise the car a decent amount you're going to get positive camber. you just need to compensate with the camber plates if you have them, or the stock cam bolt.
    '01 Impreza 2.5RS - RallyX SA

'89 RX-7 TurboII - 270 rwhp - Megasquirt3
    '89 Corolla SR5 - 4A-GE 20 Valve - Megasquirt2

pics or it didn't happen.

If settling doesn't solve it, then good chance the HB spring are longer than OEM so you will ned to something to get back to slightly negative; camber plates and/or camber bolts in the rear. Or do HB utilize camber washers?
    Toltec Rally Team

Just installed some on my wagon this past couple of days.. I think I am going to need some camber bolts..

Lot's of things that could have caused positive camber you need to check and get sorted:

#1 as others have mentioned, lifting the car will result in positve camber (as well as toe in). The higher you go the more of an issue it is.

#2 How do you have the stock eccentric bolts up front (stock camber bolt top hole) pointed. The lobe on the camber bolt should be pointed outward (toward the wheel) for more negative camber. If you installed it wrong way around you'll have positive camber. You couldn't have put it in the wrong hole, as it won't fit in any of the other one's because of the lobe.

#3 The upper front hole on the clevis are slotted, along with the camber bolt, depending on if the lower mount is pulled in or pushed out will get you postitive/negative camber adjustment.

#4 The obvious one, if you have camber plates they could be adjusted in or out for more camber.

How to fix it:

Just take it to a good alignment shop close to you. If you're only on stock camber bolts up front your going to be limited on how much negative camber you get back (usually 1.2 or so degrees depending on how slotted the clevis is and how lifted you are). If you have camber plates you'll easily be able to get more. Knowing what you use the car for will help determine what a good alignment will be for the car.

-Anthony

Registered Member

Hi,

Sorry it took so long.

I did not used the hotbits suspension for perce-neige because one strut was blown but I still went for an alignment and the mechanic said my camber bolts need replacement.

I use the car only for rally.

I have a question for you guys, should I go with toe-out in the rear to help rotating the car or is it overkill?

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    Hi,

Sorry it took so long.

I did not used the hotbits suspension for perce-neige because one strut was blown but I still went for an alignment and the mechanic said my camber bolts need replacement.

I use the car only for rally.

I have a question for you guys, should I go with toe-out in the rear to help rotating the car or is it overkill?
    You should just have the HotBits rebuilt. Did the mechanic mean new oem eccentric bolts or secondary camber bolts? I'm not sure what his reasoning for needing new bolts would be?

I would imagine a 0 toe setting is the way to go for starters. If you get the car dialed with 0 toe and still feel like you need more rotation then you could play with toe. Otherwise you may end up chasing your tail all the time.

-Anthony

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast