Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: PRODUCT THREAD :: Gorilla Bar :: Impreza (GD,GG)

Thumbs up PRODUCT THREAD :: Gorilla Bar :: Impreza (GD,GG)

PRODUCTION
    Feel free to PM a couple other details will be added.

PRODUCT DETAILS:

• 4130 Chro-moly Tubing (all around)
      • 1.25" .083 wall
      • 1" .083 wall

• 100% Tig welded
    • Oil pan and radiator protection
    • Core support / reinforcement
    • 8 Mounting locations to frame and sub-frame
    • 8 Light mounting positions
    • All hardware included
    • Skid plate tabs included

Weight:

• Light bar: 22 lbs
    • Skid Plate: 11 lbs

Options:

• Removable front tow hook
    • Removable 1/8" aluminum skid plate available
    • Powder Coat finish

Customizations:
    Available upon request and subject to additional charges based on time and materials

Pictures:
    [powder coated short bar]

[naked tall/standard bar]

[powder coated off the car w/winch option]

BUYER/INTEREST LIST:

• [NP] - 02rallywagon* (02)
    • [PP] - 2amwagon (02)
    • [NP] - dirtslayer (02)
    • [NP] - bluE-d1ff* (02)
    • [PO] - ajaxplaya8** (02)
    • [NP] - PeterH (02)
    • [PO] - raven0840 (02)
    • [PF] - Skemcin (02)
    • [NP] - skipow (02)
    • [PF] - sleepersoob02 (02)
    • [PP] - ajc65* (03)
    • [PO] - bryanw** (03)
    • [NP] - sackytar* (03)
    • [NP] - ScoobieDoBDo* (03)
    • [PP] - wagonstar* (03)
    • [DL] - zmi* (03)
    • [NP] - bone_1113 (04)
    • [PO] - cutecrazychick05** (04)
    • [FI] - Herger
    • [PO] - hoffmanEstates* (04)
    • [PP] - ZED E85 (04)
    • [NP] - 1slowsubie* (05)
    • [NP] - dirt and road (05)
    • [NP] - frizzanz* (05)
    • [FI] - PlummRS (05)
    • [FI] - subyRebirth (05)
    • [PF] - B.Kelly17 (06)
    • [FI] - bucky685 (06)
    • [FI] - I Like It Sideways (06)
    • [FI] - noggs (06)
    • [NP] - AlexWRX07 (07)
    • [NP] - Joedubs* (07)
    • [PF] - PaynE (07)
    • -------------------------
    • [NP] - philthephilosopher (??)
    • [NP] - hjcho616 (??)
    • [PO] - Boorah (??)

* other Impreza community
    ** craigslist

[FI] - interested in future purchase, just not at the moment
    [PO] - pre-order commitment (waiting for order process to be posted)
    [NP] - no payment received
    [PP] - partial payment received
    [PF] - full payment received
    [DL] - delivered / picked up

PRICING
    View the complete list of product pricing.

SHIPPING:
    Additional, calculated on an individual basis
    Pick up (individual or group) by appointment only

LOCALS:
    If at least 10 of you stop by the shop and make deposit or 5 make full payment by the 7pm Thursday Adam will be able to get a head start on the project and have a very good chance on having your bars available for pick up before Christmas.

Footnote:
    This project started from me simply wanting something to mount my HELLAs on after my DIY luggage rack cross bar just wasn't cutting it. I did my research on light bar options available and found none that met my requirements. I eventually tracked down Atomic Fabrications who didn't show interest just in my money ('cause it wasn't much) but the owner/fabricator, Adam, genuinely wanted to do this project. I mention all this because I hope this project will result in the community gaining a new, quality vendor while supporting another local (in my case) small business. Although Adam offered me a "cut" of the proceeds, I declined. I am managing this (and hopefully other) group buys in the genuine interest of giving the community a high quality functional product that is as affordable as can be. The price per bar could easily be another $10 or $25 to compensate me for my efforts, but in place of that I only ask buyers and non-buyers to consider donating some spare change towards the vendor registration fee for Atomic Fabrications to show your appreciation for the effort, honesty, and commitment he has demonstrated throughout the entire project. Thank you for your time and support for both DI and your local small businesses.
    Last edited by Skemcin; 02-29-2012 at 09:56 AM. Reason: updated title

rawr
    Quote Originally Posted by Skemcin View Post
    ## IT'S ON ##

I have sourced a company near Chicago that has 30 years experience building race cars, custom roll cages, etc. who responded to my request about re-fabricating the crash/bull/light bar pictured here:

I have more pictures here:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/skemcin/CrashBullLightBar

According to the research I did on the item pictured, it uses 1.75" x .095 tubing and ties in original subframe points under the car as well as into the front bumper support(all mounting points TIG boxed and reinforced). This uses twelve 14mm fasteners to hold it to the car in stock holes - no drilling was needed except on the front license place - and that was through the foam bumper where the plate was bolted to the bumper beam. Four tabs for mounting lights would be added as well.

The company I sourced could do this but using 1 5/8" .134 (no powder coated or anything) with the skid plate for about $100. This is an estimate by site alone and is based on two things:

A minimum group buy of 5 items is place
    That I head up there, be the fitment guinea pig, and expect to pay twice that for the first one - to get it all worked out

So that brings me to my questions:

Who would be interested in this for, lets conservatively say $150 + shipping or pickup?
    Who can help me understand how different the undercarriage of the Impreza is from year to year - i.e. if this is made for my 02 OBS what mounting points are most compatible with the most years?
    Would anyone else in the Chicago Area be interested in joining me on the trip to this shop?

Thank you in advance for your feedback and assistance.
    Last edited by Gnome; 12-01-2011 at 08:48 AM.
    What sucks and blows and doesn't complain about it? My turbo

2003 WRX

Re: sig pic
    you have nothing big to be jealous about... :wink:

Quote: Originally Posted by Gnome
    relax i understand your just jelous of my size

Quote: Originally Posted by Bubba02sti
    I was just giving you crap again... the size is fine now...

Quote: Originally Posted by Gnome
    grrr you and you size issues, are you jelous mines bigger than yours?

Quote: Originally Posted by Bubba02sti
    im just giving you can crap... can you make the pic any smaller... i think its too large still...

[02-09, 12:39] RS MN vtec just kicked in, yo.
    RSmn-gay checks(
    XVI)

Ya for that price id be down! maybe make it a little wider though?
    ~Anthony Sutter~ AKA BONE!

wifey- "Babe you would be so proud! I just ripped up a mud puddle and the turned around and did it again!" -awesome

Yes, wider was my thought too, maybe have it come up at the edge of the openings (just inside the fog lights) to leave a little more room for air and lights.

Thanks for the replies ... keep 'em coming.

The problem i would have is it fitting on my 08 impreza.

Also i would like to suggest the following that was done by another Di user... as this design.

http://www.dirtyimpreza.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=21828

1. doesn't hang below your bummer/kill your approach angle
    2. it is detachable for city driving.
    3. should fit more types of Subaru for easier time getting 5+

If we were to go something more along the lines of etcatmeat's bar (the link above) i would be 100% on board, can we go to the shop tomorrow?

Btw epic fail not bringing this up on sunday.

^^^Agreed!
    ~Anthony Sutter~ AKA BONE!

wifey- "Babe you would be so proud! I just ripped up a mud puddle and the turned around and did it again!" -awesome

def interested for my bugeye. although, cant really lose the front plate since im a CA car, but ill figure that out. it def would have to be wider though.

Registered Member

Would definitely be down for my 07. Im in Chicago so depending on when I might be able to join ya on the trip.

Thanks for the replies, great feedback.

I'm open to all ideas. I plan on bringing images to the shop (whenever I go) to have a discussion about the best solution.

I didn't want to hijack 2amwagon's project meet and I didn't have confirmation that the shop would even consider it so I didn't think it would have been appropriate to bring it up the other day.

In any respect, the Stealth Bar does look interesting. I think it is bolted in holes that already exist on the bumper beam so that would be a big plus - unless those don't match up year to year. I wonder how much bounce there is since there is pin that joins the the outer bar to the inner mounting bracket.

Look forward to more input....

Timing wise, I've got a few things happening on the side that might get me some cash a little sooner than expected, so I hope (wishful thinking) to arrange the trip before the end of the year.

The stealth bar project reported that there is not bouncing. I believe the trick was getting the inner pipe and outer sleeve to be a tight fit. he states that the reason for going this route was the excessive bouncing from the side plate mounting, for example rally innovations. https://www.rallyinnovations.com/upl...s/35_08_LB.JPG

basically anything that relays on the skid plate is going to bounce. the only way to get the ridged feel is to bolt it to the bumper/sub frame. In most cases this will require drilling.

Quote Originally Posted by cystem View Post
    The stealth bar project reported that there is not bouncing. I believe the trick was getting the inner pipe and outer sleeve to be a tight fit. he states that the reason for going this route was the excessive bouncing from the side plate mounting, for example rally innovations. https://www.rallyinnovations.com/upl...s/35_08_LB.JPG

basically anything that relays on the skid plate is going to bounce. the only way to get the ridged feel is to bolt it to the bumper/sub frame. In most cases this will require drilling.
    Duly noted.

Doesn't the RI bar bolt to only two front bolts underneath the bumper? I think it is mounted similar to that of the lights themselves - on welded tabs.
    re:

which is why it bounces. The setup pictured in the original post is all tube. Tubing curls under the car and is directly bolted to the subframe. I think it hits the points on the front, mid-engine, and then on the center jack plate too.

It looks like I'm going to need to go to this guy with two plans:
    a.) a fully function brush guard
    b.) a purpose built light bar - stealth style

I do want to explore the most universal application but I'd also like to look at the most versatile one as well.

Do you wanna meet up at either shop - it would be interesting to see how different the undercarriage is - maybe one of these guys would have a universal application (specific to our Impreza's).

Quote Originally Posted by Skemcin View Post
    Do you wanna meet up at either shop - it would be interesting to see how different the undercarriage is - maybe one of these guys would have a universal application (specific to our Impreza's).
    I'm down. Time is a bit sort these days, so it would need to be planed out at least a week in advance. I know you have some stuff going on as well. How soon would you wanna try and meet up?

Im over in 60525 so we could meet in the burbs, not sure were this shop you speak of is though.

took a 2nd look at the pics you posted seems like it might be a bit more beefy then i thought, maybe even provide some real protection, which would be first.
    the ground clearance still has me a bit concerned.

I've never seem a bar that looked like it could really take any hits, so if that what your thinking about you just got me a whole lot more interested (Grammar?)

I might be interested in one.2000 Impreza and would have to keep the front plate.

I would pitch in for the group buy.

Question: how far back will the proposed skid plate go?

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast