Thread: STI enigne swap for a stock 08 2.5i

Default STI enigne swap for a stock 08 2.5i

does any1 kno if its possible to do an STI engine swap on a stock 08 2.5i sedan
    Baja500

2. Don't like seeing these ads? Register on the DirtyImpreza.com forums today - Click Here

if so does it matter wat yr the engine comes from?? like if its an 06-07 engine would it fit or no??
    Baja500

subaru engines are all roughly the same size/shape and use similar (if not identical) mounting points. You will need the entire engine including intake, exhaust, and the ECU/wiring harness will need to be modified/replaced. In the long run you may have to replace the transmission, axles, hubs, brakes, etc to deal with all the power.

I've seen shops offer a straight engine swap for around $7k including the engine. Your prices may vary.

Honestly, if you want more power I think it would be a better idea to sell/trade your car and get a factory STI. You'll spend close to the same amount anyway but the factory STI will be more complete and more reliable.

its very possible. an yeah, any impreza engine will work, but stick to the 2.5.

A used 2006 STI with 65K miles will run you upwards of $23K+.
    I'd skip the engine swap and spend the money on rally school, rally wheels and tires and skid plates then go kick some arse in the dirt.
    I'm not a real actor I just play one on TV.

check out ridesafely.com

lots of totaled stis for cheap

I am under the assumption that 99% of the population wants to race in the dirt so my previous comment wasn't too helpful.
    However, a good person to ask ( on this site) is Arron Stump aka Dr. Subaru. He did a swap in his car and has done the swap quite a few times for other people. He could give a great idea of the work involved and costs.
    I'm not a real actor I just play one on TV.

Forum Moderator
    Colorado Mob Boss

It is possible... subarus are like legos... you piece together pretty much anything you want... is it worth it to drop a ej257 in... IMO no... here is why

Compete sti motor 4-6k (just the block and heads) complete motors (pumps turbo piping tmic etc) you are looking at more
    turbo ic dp exhaust 1k
    Wiring harness 600-800 easily (the merger is cheaper)
    Transmission... you will need it eventually the higher power is going to rip threw it... 5k
    Rear diff you will need this when you replace the trans you blow up to match the final drive of the trans... 1k
    axles hubs struts new hood or fmic and every thing else in that area you are looking at another 2k

keep in mind most of that is new off the shelf parts

you are better off just trading it in for an sti...

an 08 sti is around the 32k price with low miles....

your 08 2.5i should have a trade in of $14k (i guessed using KBB and your mileage and used a base model) so in the ball park of trading it vs doing the swap its almost identical...

not to mention but doing hybrids and swaps can be extreamly unreliable and a pain to drive if they arn't done correctly

Im not trying to discourage you but the reality in doing a n/a to turbo swap can get pretty expensive in the newer cars

In my area i am finding 08 sti's for 25k-28k with an average of 50k miles

In my opinion the swap thing is only for people who have money in their genepool. Lol but if you do a swap subaru parts will fit and connect just like everybody said

If it were me wasting the money instead of buying and sti. I would chose something different like Team Illuminatas flat six swap. Shoot...if only i could fit the new 3.6L flat six from the leggy in my car. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk
    "You're here for a good time.. Not a long time." -Colin Mcrae

A newer model RS (2.5i) is just not a good swap candidate IMO. If you are going to spend the time and money, and having the car down for so long, just sell it, buy an older RS, Legacy, etc. and stuff an STI driveline in that. Lot more unique, better chance of selling later on, and just as much in costs/time.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtslayer View Post
    check out ridesafely.com

lots of totaled stis for cheap
    thanks ima look it up
    Baja500

Quote Originally Posted by rockrammer View Post
    I am under the assumption that 99% of the population wants to race in the dirt so my previous comment wasn't too helpful.
    However, a good person to ask ( on this site) is Arron Stump aka Dr. Subaru. He did a swap in his car and has done the swap quite a few times for other people. He could give a great idea of the work involved and costs.

alright i will thanks
    Baja500

Registered Member

I know I'm new here but I'm going to piggy back off of Bubba02STI. I drive an 09 2.5i and I contacted East Coast Swappers about doing one of three things. The first was an STI EJ257 swap. They told me everything that Bubba said as well as the new CanBus wiring system was more complex. The quote came to around 20 grand. The second option was an older WRX motor. Still the quote came to around 17-18 grand. The final thing I asked about was the AVO Turbo kit and they still wanted to swap an older WRX engine in just to put the turbo kit on. It sucks, but the NA cars just can't handle turbos or much higher power. I'm saving my money for a used STI. And in the meantime just doing small, rather inexpensive mods (Lightweight crank pulley, stiffer shifter bushing and short throw shifter, etc.)

It would be awesome to see a 2.5i with a WRX motor but it's just extremely expensive. Not to be a downer cause I too would love to do a swap but I figured I'd throw in my 2 cents. If you want to PM me I could throw the estimate sheets from ECS your way.

15. Don't like seeing these ads? Register on the DirtyImpreza.com forums today - Click Here