Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Subaru Announce Recall of Impreza (02-07) Forrester (03-08) & Saab 9-x

Default Subaru Announce Recall of Impreza (02-07) Forrester (03-08) & Saab 9-x

Due to the growing epidemic of front lower control arm failures, Subaru announced a recall of 300,000 Impreza 2.5RS, 2.5TS, 2.5i, and WRX from model years 2002-2007 with steel front control arms. The STi is not affected by this recall. This includes the Saab 9-X wagons with steel front control arms. Additionally, Forresters with steel front control arms from 2003-2008 are part of this recall. Basically, if the vehicle was registered in or sold into one of 20 "rust belt" states, the dealer wants to see your car to look at the front control arms. Depending on the severity of the damage, the arms will either be coated with some sort of rust proofing or be replaced. The letters should be going out to owners in early November. As far as I've heard, you will have to wait until that time before being able to book cars in for repair.

Guys, if you get the letter or have one of the affected vehicles and live or have lived in a rust-belt state, take this one seriously and get the recall service performed. When it goes, you lose the ability to steer the car and, in some cases, the ability to brake (if the line is severed, which is likely). Think what'll happen if it lets lose while you're doing 75 on the freeway and happen to be pointed straight at bridge supports in an interchange.
    Last edited by rollo; 09-10-2011 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Shortening title and stickying, thanks Ty

Found the list of "affected states":

Massachusetts, Maryland, Michigan, New Hampshire, New York, Pennsylvania, Vermont, Wisconsin, Connecticut, Delaware, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Maine, Minnesota, Missouri, New Jersey, Ohio, Rhode Island, West Virginia and the District of Columbia

wow South Dakota isnt one of those states?...weird...
    ~Anthony Sutter~ AKA BONE!

wifey- "Babe you would be so proud! I just ripped up a mud puddle and the turned around and did it again!" -awesome

It's primarily based on the kind of salts used by the state's DOT. The states in that list have begun using a particularly violent version of salt and using A LOT of it. If South Dakota gets a lot of snow but uses mainly sand, beet juice, or sodium chloride salt on the roads, the recall wouldn't have been issued because the problem is not severe enough.

Hmm...they must have change the type of salt then...cuz i know rust is a HUGE problem back home...
    ~Anthony Sutter~ AKA BONE!

wifey- "Babe you would be so proud! I just ripped up a mud puddle and the turned around and did it again!" -awesome

Good to know! Thanks a ton!
    -Joey

a passion for rally makes a heroin addiction look like a craving for a salty snack.

Regular Contributor

So if they are coating the control arms, does that mean they will be removing them? Will there be a fee for the alignment required afterwards in the are removed? That would probably be a good time for new bushings to be installed....
    2003 Outback, Grabber AT2's(summer) Winter forces(winter), skid plate...

Thats good news. Although here in okla we arent affected by it lol. That and my wrx is an 06 so it didnt have steel ones.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk
    "You're here for a good time.. Not a long time." -Colin Mcrae

hmmmm, i'll have to look into this. i think the vehicle history the dealer printed up for me with the key code said my car was originally purchased at a dealer on the east coast.

Senior Dirty Member

Quote Originally Posted by HeathyVT View Post
    So if they are coating the control arms, does that mean they will be removing them? Will there be a fee for the alignment required afterwards in the are removed? That would probably be a good time for new bushings to be installed....
    No alignment required after pulling the control arms (rear bracket stays bolted to the car and the knuckle/strut is left bolted together). It would be a good time to go with stiffer bushings though.

Quote Originally Posted by lorenkb View Post
    No alignment required after pulling the control arms (rear bracket stays bolted to the car and the knuckle/strut is left bolted together). It would be a good time to go with stiffer bushings though.
    What are you smoking?

Of course it's necessary to re-align the car after this! First, the slop in the mounting bolts is more than enough to through the alignment off enough to be concerned about. Second, I'm fairly confident that the dealership techs will be pulling the rear bushing off the chassis as it's much quicker to do that and then remove the bushing, discs, and washer that hold the bushing to the control arm on the bench than it is to do that mess with the bushing bolted to the chassis.

Registered Member

Thanks for posting this! I've actually noticed that my lower control arms are quite rusty for being an '07... expecially by the ball joint. But then again where I'm at, they salt even for a 1/4" dusting of snow.

Regular Contributor Kerplunk105's Avatar

Ugggh.
    ~Elizabeth~

Thanks for the heads up - this one would apply to me. I've got to say, on a positive note, I just logged in to my Subaru account to double check this, but I've been fortunate to only have the following three recalls posted:

Left Front Seat Slide Rail Bolt
    Completed - 06/06/2005

Automatic Transmission Parking Rod
    Completed - 04/15/2003

Impreza Wagon Rear Gate Stay Stud Bolt
    Completed - 12/08/2008

As an original owner I can't be more satisfied. I just hope this recall is handled by the dealer much better than the last couple I had.

[errr, that means I'm going to be approached to trade this car in . . . ]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast