Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: '02 WRX NooB Setup. Yes another one...(Lift is on!!!)

Default '02 WRX NooB Setup. Yes another one...(Lift is on!!!)

Well from the title I am a Noob to the Dirt scene. I have had my lowered WRX since '03. I have a Tarmac setup on it right now but I am looking to move to Indiana and will need to be able to clear more than 2" of snow haha. I have been looking at a lot of different setups on here and think I know what I want to go with. I haven't driven a stock height Subaru in a long time so I am going off of measurements and calculations (as far as tire clearance and suspension setups). I am currently doing the "typical" first mods, fogs and light bar, horns, and looking for flaps. (just put in hella supertones tonight, wow!)
    So far I am looking at doing:
    Stock Struts and Springs
    1" Lift
    General Grabber A/T 2's (215/65-16)

From my mock-up of a 215/70-16's, it seems like there is enough room and there wont been too many problems. I am not looking to do any rally's or major off-roading. I just want to have more than average clearance and better traction on dirt and snow. That is why I am not too worried about (top finder well) clearance / rubbing. I am definitely open to suggestions. Cost is also an issue so I am trying to save as much money as possible this time (as compared to the tarmac setup haha)

Thanks in advance,
    Walker

Here are a few pics of the current setup...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by GOAT; 04-29-2010 at 05:57 PM.

Welcome and holy christ that's a big FMIC.

Forum Moderator
    Colorado Mob Boss

Tokico D Specs are a very decent cheap strut that can run on oem springs... you can get a spacer and throw it in with ease... a 1" spacer should give you plenty of clearence... both wheel well and strut... but yeah welcome to the forums... Your bug eye looks pretty bad ass... one thing I would suggest and your probably gonna hate me is get rid of that massive fmic (it does look bad ass) and go back to tmic... your gonna hate it when your subie turns into a plow and takes out that intercooler...

Yeah I have thought about the fmic. I think i'm gonna keep it for now and see how it goes. ( it is a APS SR500 they stopped making it acouple of years ago). I am building a light bar very similar to the JR one so i figured that would take most of the abuse. plus with about 2" of extra clearance over stock, it should be enough to get me over anything I would ever need to.
    Does anybody know anyone who has the 1" spacers on stock height suspension? And also what size tires they are running? I really want to make sure this isnt going to be a disaster before I spend the money haha.

Stock Struts on the way, Light bar waiting for powder coating (so far cost on that is $0.00 ), Second factory fog light switch installed and wires ran, and a set of Hella 500FF's sitting in the garage. It's moving along nicely... Posting pictures soon hopefully. Still shopping for spacers and tires. The mock-up of size 215/70-16's was good and I think it will work with the Grabber AT II's.

Walker

Heres stock with JR spacers and 215/65/16 General Grabbers

I would recommend getting some Paranoid Fab spacers too. I'm going to be putting 1/2in spacers in the back to even out the butt sag.

niiiice....
    there is a wrx in OC with a fmic that you can see the body part in both foglights and the hood barely shuts... i really dont get the purpose of it
    What sucks and blows and doesn't complain about it? My turbo

2003 WRX

Re: sig pic
    you have nothing big to be jealous about... :wink:

Quote: Originally Posted by Gnome
    relax i understand your just jelous of my size

Quote: Originally Posted by Bubba02sti
    I was just giving you crap again... the size is fine now...

Quote: Originally Posted by Gnome
    grrr you and you size issues, are you jelous mines bigger than yours?

Quote: Originally Posted by Bubba02sti
    im just giving you can crap... can you make the pic any smaller... i think its too large still...

[02-09, 12:39] RS MN vtec just kicked in, yo.
    RSmn-gay checks(
    XVI)

GClark, This is a noob question, but does the OBS sit higher than the WRX? I'm pretty sure it does. I have done some mock-ups and it seems like they will fit fine. I am waiting to hear back from Shane at Paranoid about the spacers. I have been sitting with the top of the tires at the edge of the finderwell for so long I cant remember what a stock height WRX really looks like haha.
    Never the less I have the stock struts on the way.

Haha it's a barely noticeable lift. You will clear the struts fine, but the tires will rub against your mudflaps and sometimes the fender liner.

Thats not too bad. I'm not looking to do any real off roading. It will still have on the Cusco sway bars so there wont be too much moving going on. I just need the extra ground clearance, traction, and ability to actually drive on a gravel road for a change! haha. I think I will buy one of the Grabbers and get the suspension switched out one day and check clearance on all four corners with it. See if I need to do any trimming or anything.
    I have heard that the OBS strut assy gives the WRX (Wagons) a 2-3" lift. Not sure if I want or need to go that high. We will see.

I don't think switching from wrx struts to obs will give you a 3in lift. Forester suspsension might, but not OBS struts. An OBS is about an 1in(maybe) higher then regular RS or wrx. Just switch back to stock springs and put a JR or Subtle lift on. There a WRB wrx that just did that, and I don't think he is having any problems. http://www.dirtyimpreza.com/forums/s...ghlight=subtle

If I really want to offroad a Subie, I'll drive the one in my avatar!

For the Imp, I just wanna mob dunes and rock-strewn roads. Don't wanna make it too tall.

I've got a stack of 215/65 Grabbers in my Garage. They're going on a Bugeye RS sedan with the 1" JR / Subtle spacers. Stock struts.

I've not seen pics of a sedan with 27s here, but GClarks setup looks perfect. With the big RS/WRX sedan fenders it'll be even better!

Edit: Here's a sedan, taller lift though.... http://www.dirtyimpreza.com/forums/s...d.php?p=206671
    Last edited by ea82abuser; 03-18-2010 at 11:15 AM.

Awesome guys!! This gives me a ton to work with. Since I have the stock struts on the way, I am going to try spacers first. I am hoping to have a system so that I can easily (a couple of hours) switch from my tarmac to off road set-ups. So having a complete strut assy. for each and just swaping them out at will. This gives me a lot to go on and more homework to do!

W

Thanks for the help Felginator!! Looks like I am on some what of the right track! I can't wait to get this thing up in the air now that I got a chance to play on the curvy roads in the mountains over vacation.

W

Here is what I have so far.
    The first picture shows the Hella Supertones and the little leads sticking out from under the FMIC for the Hella 500FF Fogs. I wanted to make it a plug-n-play system so everything is soldered, shrink wrapped, and color coded. I am still looking for a water tight connector with two leads off of each male and female connector.
    The second picture is of the secondary factory fog light switch to control the Hella fogs on the light bar. This took some time with a multimeter. But it gets a very clean, factory look. (Sorry for the blurry up-close picture)
    The last picture is just my idea of the best way to rotate your tires. Stupid easy and fast with a really tight suspension .
    I am looking to get the mounting tabs welded onto the light bar this week and then hopefully powder coating soon too. Maybe getting some cheap aluminum 1" lift kit made by my friend too! We will see....
    Stock struts on the way and more pictures to come!

W
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by GOAT; 03-20-2010 at 06:35 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast