Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So what does a bad CV sound like?

Regular Contributor

Default So what does a bad CV sound like?

My car has started to make a weird sort of popping/clicking noise from the front driver side when I turn it at slow speeds even at a dead stop. Then if i accelerated some what hard theres a definite pop from the left front. My guess is the CV joint is bad or blown but I would like some opinions or maybe what to check for. It's an 06 STI. Thanks

crawl under the car and check for gook on or around all 8 of the CV joints.

example pic from the dirty RS

Volvo V40 T4

Classic way to diagnose a busted CV is to drive in slow speed full-lock circles (parking lot, cul-de-sac etc). If you hear the popping/clicking, then yes, it's gone. As Jimmy says, a blown boot would let the grease out, causing a giant mess and speeding up the demise of the joint.
    Phil

'03 Evo VIII : '90 Corrado G60 : '05 Legacy GT wagon : '11 Fiesta hatch : '77 Capri 2.8

Maximum attack!

Keep up with rallycross in SoCal and NorCal...

Facebook: California Rallycross || Twitter: @CalifRallyX || YouTube channel: CaliforniaRallycross

Senior Dirty Member

click click click click clickclickclickclickclick

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Gun Rally View Post
    click click click click clickclickclickclickclick
    and then when it breaks it sounds like a handfull of bolts in a blender...the one time I had one go I thought I blew up my tranmission

does the clunking sound happen right when you get in the car for the first time of the day, or does it happen once you have been driving around and the cars is warmed up?

-Lance

try reading this.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulle...ce-them-46979/

I know it is on a forester board, but I think it might relate to you.

-Lance

Forum Moderator
    Authorized Vendor

Quote Originally Posted by LanceDa View Post
    does the clunking sound happen right when you get in the car for the first time of the day, or does it happen once you have been driving around and the cars is warmed up?

-Lance
    could be intermittent , could be constant...depends on how much grease is still in there. either way, this sounds like your issue.

DON'T buy a new axle from the dealership, I just got a new one (not re-man....no core charge) from www.autopartswarehouse.com for $65. look at the FEQ brand.

Quote Originally Posted by UP2MTNS View Post
    DON'T buy a new axle from the dealership, I just got a new one (not re-man....no core charge) from www.autopartswarehouse.com for $65. look at the FEQ brand.
    Know where I can an axle for the Legacy (2005 GT Ltd)? Nobody seems to sell remanufactured ones, it's crazy.
    Phil

'03 Evo VIII : '90 Corrado G60 : '05 Legacy GT wagon : '11 Fiesta hatch : '77 Capri 2.8

Maximum attack!

Keep up with rallycross in SoCal and NorCal...

Facebook: California Rallycross || Twitter: @CalifRallyX || YouTube channel: CaliforniaRallycross

Regular Contributor

Thanks for all the help it's mainly when i get in it for the first time but then it happens when im corning sharp at slow speeds. Looks like I will be getting a new axle soon

Regular Contributor

Ok second question what happens if it completely fails lets say when im driving on the freeway. will it hurt anything else?

When they die, the axle shaft itself is mainly kept in place by the cv cup. You'll loose all power to that wheel, the grease boot will tear and the big all ball bearings will go flying out.
    If this happens, Stop the car IMMEDIATELY! No, the axle wont go whipping around taking out vital components, but you will fry your ring and pinion and spider gears "or your limited slip diff if so equipped" at highway speeds. Or worse, the sudden transfer of torque to the now free spinning axle could blow up your center diff.

For an STi its probably a different story, but for older Imprezas i makes more financial sense to search the big forums for used axles that people are selling from parted out cars, rather then trying to repair the boot / CV.

I found 2 axles for an 00-01 RS on RS25.com for $60 shipped.

And yeah the sound shouldnt matter if the car is warmed up or not. its goes: *Clickity-Clickity-Clickity-Clickity-Clickity* as you turn.

Regular Contributor

Ya there is a guy parting out an 05 and he is selling the axles for $20 each I just hope he has them when i get back in to town next week.

on my old honda it sounded like a machine gun when i turned in either direction. i neglected it for so long that when i finally changed them, my cv's had no ball bearings left in them

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast