PDA

View Full Version : clunks over bumps... possible causes.

nawoj
02-02-2010, 12:55 AM
my 04... 83k miles. factory [to my knowledge] everything.

so far possibilities include...

struts

ball joints

top hats

bushings

wheel bearings?

car seems to handle ok... but that could be because im used to it.
its not crazy bouncy over bumps, so i really dont think its the struts, but then again ive never had struts that clunk.

ball joints... its been a long time since ive had ball joint problems... and that was on a civic. i think they made a similar noise, but i honestly dont remember.

top hats... iunno...

bushings... i honestly doubt they are that far gone at 85k miles.

wheel bearings... i did the basic tests, wheels dont have play... no rotational noises.

so, whats my problem here?

Bubba02sti
02-02-2010, 04:44 AM
cluncks on bumps are usually a sign of bad struts... check your top hats by pulling off the dust caps and look down in there to see if any of the grease is all over the place if the plastic is cracking or if bearings are missing... with ball joints you would usually hear a pop noise instead of a clunk... The most simplest test to check the struts is the bounce test... push down and see if it rebounds and bounds and rebounds again... keep in mind though that it may not do that cause it usually only works with blowen out struts... but you may be able to duplicate the noise again... also check to see if there is a wet spot coming from the struts...

d'cheat
02-02-2010, 08:44 AM
Make certain that your swaybars are really snug as well. One loose side will clunk quite abit.

Gnome
02-02-2010, 10:57 AM
doesnt these years have isssues with this?

vica153
02-02-2010, 02:20 PM
The covers on the struts to protect the pistons from dirt? I've seen where the bottom gets loose and rattles around over bumps, it wasn't a suby, but its worth a quick check.

RS MN
02-02-2010, 04:44 PM
Make certain that your swaybars are really snug as well. One loose side will clunk quite abit.

+1. i had this happen when i busted off a left side RSB bushing mount, it clunked like hell, especially when taking turns hard.

and ive also heard about 04 STi rear struts clunking and the remedy being to regrease them, but i wouldnt have a clue about that.

good luck man!

nawoj
02-03-2010, 02:20 AM
the STI has inverted struts though... pretty sure reg ole WRX doesnt.

it honestly FEELS like part of the suspension is kinda sloppy..

it sounds like if the ball joint wasnt torqued down properly and it could move up and down on the transverse link... a very muffled clunk. more noticeable over a series of potholes than one largish bump.

smooth road with corners the car feels and sounds fine.

with my tax return i will no doubt be able to repair this... but i dont want to throw a ton of money at it because im still unemployed.

if i COULD throw a ton of money at it, id just replace EVERYTHING and be done with it.

kemikalembalance
02-08-2010, 02:05 AM
my vote is for ENDLINKS! either disconnect them to eliminate the problem or grab ahold of them and see iff they have any play. constant problem with my 06.

projectpizat
02-22-2010, 01:46 PM
i get alot of clunking when i go over small, successive bumps. it doesnt come from the wheel tho, its more under my feet than anything . Its not very loud but its annoying as hell . Any thoughts?

projectpizat
02-22-2010, 01:47 PM
2002 impreza RS --
i get alot of clunking when i go over small, successive bumps. it doesnt come from the wheel tho, its more under my feet than anything . Its not very loud but its annoying as hell . Any thoughts?

Wasabiman619
02-24-2010, 10:22 PM
I just bought my 03 last Oct. Have STI inverted struts from an 04 and the car came with 03 tophats that were all busted. that made a clunking noise. not to mention the passenger side front axel boot was bad too. all resulted in the type of clunky you're describing, but only at low speeds like under 10mph. at 25 and up even around corners it felt ok and didn't "clunk" that much. after replacing top hats with new 04 ones to match my struts, now no more clunk noise. The sti suspension is kinda ruff tho.

LPXLTT
02-25-2010, 06:45 AM

I had a 93 legacy that did this from time to time. What actually happened was the exhaust hanger broke on me (more then once) and it was hitting the underside of the car. Not saying this is your issue, but its worth a check.

nawoj
05-19-2010, 09:12 PM
i am fairly sure it is my endlinks, seems to be not as bad now that it is warm, but still there.. im not worried about it anymore.

my brother actually had a very similar noise, only ALOT worse on his LGT... he replaced a bushing, struts/shocks, and it was still there. replace sway bush's and links, gone.

suby
05-20-2010, 02:42 PM
i will check this on my 06 wrx i just got. its in good condition but im still scared everything will fall apart cause i havnt had it long and you never really know whats been done to it before.

punker39
05-29-2010, 01:20 PM
my 04 wrx had a clunk over bumps and i put new kartboy endlinks in and it got rid of the clunk, also the new endlinks make the suspension feel better

Jonsonator
07-22-2010, 09:00 AM
i have a similar problema and it ended up being one of my front upper strut mounts. the bearing was a little loose. the noise would get worse the sharper i turned the wheel and i could NOT reproduce the sound on a lift because it would put weight on the bearing. i had to put it on the ground and grab my fender and pull up and let it drop a few times. with the little center bolt cap off i could clearly see a little movement in the bearing.

alcontrast
08-23-2010, 11:33 AM
I've been having some faint clunking in the rear right of my car for a little while.. It minor but got a little worse this weekend so I jacked it up, pulled the right rear wheel, and had a good look around.. I was thinking it was either the strut or a bushing somewhere.. Nothing looked crazy or felt loose.. I pulled out a rubber mallet and bumped some links and things.. My rear trailing arm on that right side seemed to have a worn bushing.. I think that's the issue but it's hard to say..

I'm going to replace the bushing.. I'm just not sure yet if I want to spend moderate money on the one janky rubber OEM bushing or spend a bit more money and get the full set of bushings and replace them all..

especially since I'm not sure if the bushing is causing the noise.. It could still be the strut..